Our Environment & Us
Formartine's is committed to minimising the impact of its activities on the environment. We are focused on being an ethical and sustainable business, we will actively seek to improve our environment and community.
The main things we will do to achieve this are:
- Minimise waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible.
- Improve and sustain our natural ecology in the surrounding woodland and use their diversity as an educational tool and inspiration for our visitors.
- Actively promote recycling.
- Source and promote a product range to minimise the environmental impact with a particular emphasis on local and seasonal produce.
- Reduce our carbon foot print, waste and energy consumption.
We champion and support green business practices and ask that you support us by recycling all of your waste packaging from purchases at Formartine's.
Some of the things we are doing
We are already doing lots of great things to improve our environment; we are breaking ground with renewables and recycling and our building is really very clever.
- We generate our own heat and hot water from our wasted energy with heat recovery.
- We only use renewable power from local renewable generation and we do not use any fossil fuels or gas.
- Our flooring, made in Scotland from natural resources, is biodegradable and ecologically sound.
- We have an active woodland management program and have replanted over 4000 trees. We are improving the woodland and encouraging the natural ecology.
- We process all of our own effluent and kitchen waste on-site.
- We do not operate any vehicles.
- Air conditioning is provided using Air Source Heat Pumps.
- Our building is covered in Scottish Larch, grown and processed within 100 miles of our site.
- Our product range and menu has an emphasis on local, sustainable and fair trade.
- We recycle as much as we can and are continually seeking further measures to increase recycling opportunities.
Our cakes, coffee and many items in the shop are fair trade, organic and or locally grown and produced, your conscience will never have tasted so good.